'The Avengers' premiere: Actors talk superheroes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "The Avengers" first hit the comic book world 49 years ago. Now, the superhero dream team gathers on film to fight a nightmare enemy threatening the world.
Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee is thrilled to see "The Avengers" explode onto the big screen.
"I think the fans are going to just go crazy when they have a chance to see this," said Lee.
The superhero behind the scenes of this one is writer-director Joss Whedon.
"This was the dream gig. I got to do it. I'm really proud of the work we did," said Whedon.
Samuel L. Jackson, who plays Nick Fury, praised Whedon's work.
"He knows who these superheroes are, and he knows what buttons to push to make them to be larger than life, smaller than life, vulnerable and heroic," Jackson said.
Robert Downy Jr., who plays Iron Man, said Whedon is "witty" and that translates well into the movie.
Iron Man may be strong, but Captain America says there are superheroes even stronger.
"It's got to be a battle between Thor and The Hulk. It has to be. Thor's calling down lightning. Hulk is punching jets. I mean, it's a tough argument to win," said Chris Evans.
Mark Ruffalo, who plays The Hulk, said he's liking the "muscled Mark."
"I really didn't have to spend that much time in the gym, which was kind of perfect for me, actually," said Ruffalo.
"The Avengers" is expected to be big, and it opens May 4.
movie news, comic book, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate 54 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park 33 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out 50 min ago
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report