'Dancing With The Stars' elimination: Gavin DeGraw hits the road
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Week 5 of "Dancing With The Stars" ended with a Cha-Cha-challenge. When the dancing was done, the judges voted to keep actor Jaleel White in the competition, sending singer Gavin DeGraw back on the road.
"It was a tough week," DeGraw said. "The reality is that this is something you sign up for and you have to go at it 100 percent, and there were days that we couldn't do 100 percent because there was only 30 percent left."
During his time on the show, DeGraw did the Foxtrot and Jive, got his best scores for the Rumba and did pretty well with the Tango. But his Samba this week went south.
DeGraw's partner, Karina Smirnoff, says it's been a joy dancing with someone who's been so optimistic.
"He makes every situation funnier and happier and I think that's a great attitude to have no matter what you're doing or how stressful," she said.
DeGraw knew there was a possibility he wouldn't come out on top, but his personal victory was taking the challenge anyway and meeting supportive people every step of the way.
"This show gave me another perspective," he said. "It gave me an opportunity to step outside of my element into someone else's element and realize what a big pair of shoes they actually are.
"I definitely got a chance to perform to a different fan base and you pick up people along the way. Whoever wants to come along for the ride, please do," he added.
The eight remaining couples dance to Motown music next week, with featured performers including Smokey Robinson, The Temptations and Martha Reeves.
Returning to compete next week will be actors White, Roshon Fegan, William Levy and Melissa Gilbert; singers Gladys Knight and Katherine Jenkins; TV personality Maria Menounos; and football star Donald Driver.
dancing with the stars, celebrity, television, abc, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 46 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 10 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 46 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'