'The Avengers' movie review: 'Super' movie with spectacular action, special effects
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "The Avengers" is clearly set for a strong number-one finish at the box office this weekend. But are these Avengers superheroes or super-zeroes?
Robert Downey Junior is back as Iron Man, and he's got plenty of superhero company in "Marvel's The Avengers."
You've heard this plot before: There's an evil force out to destroy mankind. In this movie, it's up to the Avengers to save the day.
The Hulk is here, along with Hawkeye, Thor, Black Widow and Captain America. This movie clearly pays its respect to comic book fans.
Director Joss Whedon made sure of that, but he also worked to create a film for everyone. There are moments you'll hear people in the audience giggling and you probably won't know why. I know I didn't. You can consider those moments something extra for true comic experts. They'll get it. You don't really need to know.
The film is a little slow at first, but when it kicks in, it doesn't stop.
The action and the special effects are pretty spectacular. But I also enjoyed the script's one-liners. The comedic moments make the movie more fun, and I think that's the point: You should be having a good time here -- or should I say a "super" time?
It comes down to this: Grab some popcorn, sit down, head back to your childhood. And get ready to say "Wow!"
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 34 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 10 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 36 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 55 min ago
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...