ABC's 'Duets' showcases local SoCal talent
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- TV's latest singing competition, ABC's "Duets," puts the superstar judges on stage with the eager contestants, one of whom happens to be a local talent from Southern California.
Jason Farol is one of the eight amateur singers who have been chosen to compete in the new music series. The 23-year-old Torrance resident expects many of his friends and acquaintances to be surprised to see him performing before a panel of all-star judges.
"I didn't really tell people I sing. I didn't sing a lot before at home, so I think when they see this, they're gonna be really shocked," Farol said.
Farol's mentor, pop star Kelly Clarkson, said his parents wanted him to finish school. Clarkson said she agrees, but she also wants Farol to follow his dreams.
"He's so great, and I think if you're passionate about that, you might as well go for your dreams. You can always go to college," Clarkson said.
Farol has already learned a few things from his mentor.
"The biggest thing is warm-ups, how to use my breath right," Farol said. "Just how to perform and try to get the nerves out because we're here for a reason. So I just need to believe in myself."
"Duets" pits Clarkson against John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, Robin Thicke and their protegees in a contest to see whose voice is deemed best. The winner receives a recording contract with Hollywood Records.
"Duets" debuts Thursday at 8 p.m. on ABC7.
abc, television, music news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- Stroke recognition crucial for quick...
52 min ago