Comedian Mike MacDonald needs liver, fellow comics help out
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Bob Saget was one of several comedians taking part in a night of comedy Wednesday to raise money for fellow comic Mike MacDonald, who is in need of a liver.
When the 56-year-old Canadian comic announced he had hepatitis C and needed to raise money for a liver transplant, his fellow Canadians immediately started helping out. His fellow comedians did the same at the Laugh Factor in Los Angeles.
MacDonald needs a liver transplant fast. Waiting for a deceased donor could take more than two years. So MacDonald needs someone to donate a part of his or her liver, hoping that will do the trick.
"He needs help right now and everybody's working tonight and the proceeds will go hopefully to getting him the surgery he needs and the care that he needs," Saget said.
Some of the comedians included Saget, Kevin Nealon, Tom Green, Joh Wing, Bobby Slayton and Jimmy Hotz.
MacDonald is revered by the Canadian comedians who followed in his footsteps, carving careers in laughter.
"When I was 15 years old at amateur night up in Ottawa, where Mike is from, Mike was everybody's hero," Green said. "He was a legend of Canadian comedy and we're just all here to sort of help him and hope he gets well soon."
MacDonald may be ill, but in the comedy world, that doesn't mean he can't be the butt of a joke.
"I thought it was Mike MacDonald from the Doobie Brothers. I didn't know it was this Mike MacDonald. I hate that guy," Slayton said.
If you'd like to help MacDonald - the comedian - visit his online fund at GoFundMe.com/MikeMacDonald.
celebrity, charity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 48 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 39 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 44 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
37 min ago