Jimmy Kimmel reacts to his 1st Emmy nomination after 10 seasons
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jimmy Kimmel's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" show got its first Outstanding Variety Series Emmy nomination Thursday. After 10 seasons, it's recognition Kimmel thinks the show deserves.
"Yeah, I think we do," said Kimmel. "I mean, really, there are six shows nominated, there are only about 10 talk shows so, really, if you don't get nominated, they're telling you, 'you're in the bottom four.' I'd like to think we're at least in the middle of the pack somewhere."
Nominated along with "Jimmy Kimmel Live" is "The Colbert Report," "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" -- which has won the past nine years -- "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Saturday Night Live."
Kimmel showed up in his pajamas Thursday to help Kerry Washington make the early-morning Emmy nomination announcements.
"I would have been really mad if they rousted me out of bed and I didn't get nominated," he said. "But I didn't expect to get nominated because I never got nominated. I don't know what happened. Something -- maybe they felt sorry for me."
Kimmel is not only a nominee; he'll also be hosting the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards show, and the man producing it loves that Kimmel can role with the punches.
"As a producer, you really want a host that wants to be there, that can be irreverent and have fun with television and the season and all that. but underneath it, there's a respect for television," said Don Mischer. "And Jimmy's just been getting better and better and better, and I think it's his time."
The 2012 Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony is set to air live from L.A. Live's Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 5 p.m. PT on ABC.
And you can get a taste of Kimmel's comedic skills on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" every week night at 12:05 a.m. on ABC7.
celebrity, television, abc, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis