'Total Recall' review: Edge-of-your-seat action will keep you interested
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Twenty-two years after the original, there's a new version of the sci-fi action-adventure, "Total Recall."
This time, there's no Arnold Schwarzenegger and it doesn't take us to Mars. Instead, the action is on Earth and the film stars Colin Farrell.
Farrell plays a factory worker who starts to think he used to be a spy after he visits Rekall, a company that's somehow able to turn your dreams into memories of a life you haven't really led. When things go wrong, he's suddenly hunted by government authorities and fighting for his life, even with the woman he thinks is his wife, played with nasty joy by Kate Beckinsale.
Beckinsale is on the verge of being absolutely evil to absolutely absurd here, but she's totally fun to watch, even when it's just silly. Jessica Biel provides just as much punch as another woman who's somehow involved in the life of Colin's character.
Bryan Cranston shows us another side to his talents, playing the film's big villain -- the role Ronny Cox had in the original.
Farrell's not only likable, he's tough in this role. And it's easy to root for him as he tries to figure out what's going on in his mind and why people want him dead.
Of course, many fights will ensue along the way, and the fight scenes are edge-of-your-seat. And despite all the action, there's still time for a little sense of humor.
I will admit "Total Recall" is sometimes hard to follow. I certainly got lost and a little confused, and I was really paying attention. That would have bothered me more if the movie didn't keep me so interested, but it did.
This "Total Recall" skates by with a PG-13 rating.
movie news, movie review, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 58 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy 2 min ago
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Coyotes search for water in IE communities
35 min ago
- Immigrants gather for rally in Sacramento
59 min ago