Whitney Houston is 'incredible' in 'Sparkle,' Jordin Sparks says
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Sparkle" takes us back to 1968 Detroit where three sisters are giving their music a go in the land of Motown.
The journey will not be an easy one. The young women face various obstacles, one battling physical abuse and drug addiction.
"It's a cautionary tale for a lot of girls these days that don't rely on sex and a man to provide you with your happiness and your sense of validation. You've got to find it in yourself," said Carmen Ejogo, the London-raised actress.
"I just want girls to take away that it's okay to be strong and to go and get an education," actress Tika Sumpter said. "Everybody doesn't have to be a star. You can be a star in your own way."
"American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks plays the title role of Sparkle, a young woman with a musical dream.
The movie also features the late Whitney Houston, an executive producer of the film, in a supporting role as the girls' mother.
"Obviously, none of us knew this was going to be the last thing that she did," Sparks said. "We all knew it was something special while we were filming. But the things she said - I remember being in a scene and she goes, 'Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you?' And I remember at that moment just having chills. And now that she's not here, it's almost like, wow."
"She is incredible in this film and I think for this to be the last thing people see of her is going to be magnificent," Sparks added.
"Sparkle" is rated PG-13. It opens Friday.
celebrity, famous death, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 17 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- UCSB meningitis: Fund for amputee student
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: Benedict Cumberbatch recites R. Kelly lyrics