'Sparkle' review: Lacks originality, surprise
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Sparkle" is a remake of a 1976 movie that starred Irene Cara. The gift is music, and Jordin Sparks, in the title role, wants to make music her career.
As the story goes, three sisters band together - all with different dreams - to become Motown stars in 1960s Detroit.
Carmen Ejogo's character gets hooked on drugs instead - and a bad relationship. She provides the film's high drama, and she does it well.
Tika Sumpter offers the strength, and Sparks, as Sparkle, is the film's heart.
You can't go to this film and not feel impacted that you're watching Whitney Houston's final performance. Houston's role is a supporting one.
It's sad to watch her, knowing she's gone, but there's only so much to the role. I wouldn't buy into the hype that this is her best work.
Sparks is the real star here, and the men of the film, Derek Luke, Mike Epps and Omari Hardwick, make it better.
But in the end, I found myself feeling as if I'd seen parts of this movie in other movies. The elements of originality and surprise just aren't there. If you're OK with that, you'll be OK with "Sparkle."
Overall, I liked the performances more than I liked the movie. But I also think teenage girls and young women will connect with it more than a guy my age.
movie news, movie review, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 14 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 41 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 3 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 7 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 9 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
43 min ago