'General Hospital' star Steve Burton on his exit, future plans
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Steve Burton is a soap opera superstar. He has played Jason Morgan on "General Hospital" for half of his life. Now, after 21 years on the show, he is shocking the world of daytime television by saying goodbye.
"I've grappled with the decision for a long time," Burton said. "It's hard to even really talk about it because I've been there for 21 years, and it's been such a blessing to be able to have a job that long."
Burton says "General Hospital" has been like home. But home for his family is now an old farmhouse on 17 acres in Nashville, Tenn., a city he got to know while filming the 2001 film "The Last Castle."
"I spent about four months there, and my wife and I, we loved it so much that we said if we ever had a chance to raise our kids there, we would," he said.
Burton, the businessman, has invested in a Chicago beer bar called The Beer Market and a Studio City gourmet pizza restaurant, Crust. He is also working on a project with "General Hospital" guest star James Franco. He also wants to produce and direct.
And what will be the future of his band, Port Chuck?
"Port Chuck is going to live on. We're going to go out on the road, actually, in February, for another, I think, 14 cities in 14 days. We're going to go crazy," he said with a smile.
ABC says you'll be able to watch Burton on the show into November. Fans have been watching him for two decades, but in a matter of weeks, he is going to be gone. He knows his final days will be tough.
"I guess it would be easier to say, 'I'm leaving,' and then be gone and not have to be there for another month," he said as he fought back tears. "It'll be hard."
Burton said he has offered to stay on longer if producers need more time to wrap up storylines, but when he does finally go, he's taking three months off to spend time with his wife and kids.
abc, television, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 45 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 5 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role