'General Hospital' star Steve Burton on his exit, future plans
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Steve Burton is a soap opera superstar. He has played Jason Morgan on "General Hospital" for half of his life. Now, after 21 years on the show, he is shocking the world of daytime television by saying goodbye.
"I've grappled with the decision for a long time," Burton said. "It's hard to even really talk about it because I've been there for 21 years, and it's been such a blessing to be able to have a job that long."
Burton says "General Hospital" has been like home. But home for his family is now an old farmhouse on 17 acres in Nashville, Tenn., a city he got to know while filming the 2001 film "The Last Castle."
"I spent about four months there, and my wife and I, we loved it so much that we said if we ever had a chance to raise our kids there, we would," he said.
Burton, the businessman, has invested in a Chicago beer bar called The Beer Market and a Studio City gourmet pizza restaurant, Crust. He is also working on a project with "General Hospital" guest star James Franco. He also wants to produce and direct.
And what will be the future of his band, Port Chuck?
"Port Chuck is going to live on. We're going to go out on the road, actually, in February, for another, I think, 14 cities in 14 days. We're going to go crazy," he said with a smile.
ABC says you'll be able to watch Burton on the show into November. Fans have been watching him for two decades, but in a matter of weeks, he is going to be gone. He knows his final days will be tough.
"I guess it would be easier to say, 'I'm leaving,' and then be gone and not have to be there for another month," he said as he fought back tears. "It'll be hard."
Burton said he has offered to stay on longer if producers need more time to wrap up storylines, but when he does finally go, he's taking three months off to spend time with his wife and kids.
abc, television, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate