Beth Grant talks 'Blues for Willadean' reunion, Hollywood success
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In "Blues for Willadean," Beth Grant got her wish: Her name comes after the title.
"I'm not ready. It's too soon!" Grant said. "My husband's laughing. He says, 'When will you be ready? How old do you have to be ready to be a leading lady?'"
In Grant's case, 63. But she was 53 when she was interview for the L.A. stage production of Del Shores' "The True Confessions of a Trailer Trash Housewife." Grant appeared in the production with future Oscar winner Octavia Spencer.
All these years later, that play would become a movie called "Blues for Willadean," reuniting the entire cast.
The movie has funny moments, but at its core, the domestic violence subject matter is serious.
"The violence was very scary," Grant said. "It felt extremely real to me. I went to a very, a very dark, you know, wonderful as an artist place but horrific as a character."
Grant hopes you'll see "Blues For Willadean" during its one-week run at the Laemmle's NoHo 7 in North Hollywood.
Of course, you've been watching her work for years. She's been in "Rain Man," "No Country for Old Men," "Little Miss Sunshine," "Donnie Darko" and "The Artist," to name a few.
She may just be Hollywood's good luck charm.
"I may be," Grant said. "I may be. Call me up!"
Character roles preferred.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- I-5 through Grapevine closed due to snow, ice
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea 45 min ago
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary 30 min ago
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway 42 min ago
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?