Beth Grant talks 'Blues for Willadean' reunion, Hollywood success
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In "Blues for Willadean," Beth Grant got her wish: Her name comes after the title.
"I'm not ready. It's too soon!" Grant said. "My husband's laughing. He says, 'When will you be ready? How old do you have to be ready to be a leading lady?'"
In Grant's case, 63. But she was 53 when she was interview for the L.A. stage production of Del Shores' "The True Confessions of a Trailer Trash Housewife." Grant appeared in the production with future Oscar winner Octavia Spencer.
All these years later, that play would become a movie called "Blues for Willadean," reuniting the entire cast.
The movie has funny moments, but at its core, the domestic violence subject matter is serious.
"The violence was very scary," Grant said. "It felt extremely real to me. I went to a very, a very dark, you know, wonderful as an artist place but horrific as a character."
Grant hopes you'll see "Blues For Willadean" during its one-week run at the Laemmle's NoHo 7 in North Hollywood.
Of course, you've been watching her work for years. She's been in "Rain Man," "No Country for Old Men," "Little Miss Sunshine," "Donnie Darko" and "The Artist," to name a few.
She may just be Hollywood's good luck charm.
"I may be," Grant said. "I may be. Call me up!"
Character roles preferred.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 18 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 29 min ago
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 22 min ago
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah MacKay
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler