Beth Grant talks 'Blues for Willadean' reunion, Hollywood success
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In "Blues for Willadean," Beth Grant got her wish: Her name comes after the title.
"I'm not ready. It's too soon!" Grant said. "My husband's laughing. He says, 'When will you be ready? How old do you have to be ready to be a leading lady?'"
In Grant's case, 63. But she was 53 when she was interview for the L.A. stage production of Del Shores' "The True Confessions of a Trailer Trash Housewife." Grant appeared in the production with future Oscar winner Octavia Spencer.
All these years later, that play would become a movie called "Blues for Willadean," reuniting the entire cast.
The movie has funny moments, but at its core, the domestic violence subject matter is serious.
"The violence was very scary," Grant said. "It felt extremely real to me. I went to a very, a very dark, you know, wonderful as an artist place but horrific as a character."
Grant hopes you'll see "Blues For Willadean" during its one-week run at the Laemmle's NoHo 7 in North Hollywood.
Of course, you've been watching her work for years. She's been in "Rain Man," "No Country for Old Men," "Little Miss Sunshine," "Donnie Darko" and "The Artist," to name a few.
She may just be Hollywood's good luck charm.
"I may be," Grant said. "I may be. Call me up!"
Character roles preferred.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 31 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 9 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder 11 min ago
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia 22 min ago
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10