Hollywood Film Festival to feature Jeremy Lanni's 'Heal Thyself'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Heal Thyself" is the seventh short film from writer-director Jeremy Lanni. He has two master's degrees from Yale in renaissance studies, and that's helped him become a renaissance man.
"I was originally going to be a professor. I was going to be a professor of English and renaissance studies would be my specialty," Lanni said. "But I love film."
But to fund his movies, including his latest one, Lanni needs to make money with his full-time job.
"You know, I represent nurses for my day job. I'm a labor leader and, yeah, that funds my filmmaking," he said.
Not surprisingly, Lanni pays his actors union wages.
"I can afford two and a half days of shooting a year which everybody laughs about and it's absolutely true," he said.
Eric Roberts came on board for "Heal Thyself" to play a greedy doctor in a satire on our health care system. Paula Malcomson of "Deadwood" is his leading lady for the short, "A Woman in the West" and a sandwich may be the star of "A Reuben by Any Other Name." It's based on a real life deli debate.
"It's the difference between Reform Judaism and Orthodox Judaism in terms of the Reuben sandwich," he said.
Lanni says the sandwich debate is apparently equally serious to the religion debate.
"People are arguing back and forth in that place. I started a riot. And I just looked at this and I said, 'OK, no problem. This is a short,'" he said.
Lanni's shorts are mostly comedies and he's carefully working his way to making bigger projects. For now, he's happy to be paid in the laughter of others.
"There's nothing quite like listening to a whole bunch of people, you know, in sync, you know, especially with comedy because it's timing," Lanni said. "So when it happens, it's bam! You know? It's like, oh this is good. They got that one."
You can get a dose of Lanni's work when "Heal Thyself" plays the Hollywood Film Festival as part of a shorts program Sunday afternoon.
hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report