'Dancing With The Stars' couples to perform to country songs
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Dancing With The Stars" takes on a little Nashville flair on Monday night. All eight couples will perform to country songs.
The show will also include a performance by three-time CMA nominee "Little Big Town."
No one was eliminated last week, so those scores will be combined with Monday night's scores and viewer votes to determine who goes home next.
Fans will see the Cha Cha, the Tango, the Rumba, the Viennese Waltz and the Foxtrot. And the celebrity will be required to perform a solo during his or her routine.
A few of the couples told me they are big fans of country music, but others, not so much. Apolo Ohno said he's not really into it, but Karina Smirnoff loves it. On top of that, she's choreographing one of her favorite dances: the Viennese Waltz.
"It's going to be the most emotional dance that we have yet to do on the show," she said. "It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and it's going to be connected to the family members that I lost and the family members that he lost to cancer."
Last week, it was Kirstie Alley who was weeping through the tough week. But in spite of her tears, she and Maksim Chmerkovskiy earned their best scores yet for this season.
Our country couples will also perform in groups again. The group routine will be accompanied by country stars "Big and Rich" and "Cowboy Troy." During the group dances, the pairs can earn extra points by shining in the spotlight during their solo time.
During last week's group dance, it was Team Shawn that earned the most points. That score, combined with their solo scoring, put Sabrina Bryan and Louis Van Amstel in the lead last week. The duo was thrilled with what their team was able to bring to the dance floor because the emphasis was on team.
Melissa Rycroft gave us a scare last week after she injured her neck during rehearsals. She is fine and plans on showing off the Viennese Waltz.
The country edition of "Dancing With The Stars" begins at 8 p.m. on ABC7.
celebrity, abc, dancing with the stars, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 19 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 37 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage 57 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
17 min ago