'Lincoln' stars talk importance of film at premiere
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In "Lincoln," Daniel Day-Lewis takes on the role of President Abraham Lincoln during his challenging final months in office. He's looking to end the Civil War and end slavery before his presidential days are done.
"I would hope that people in this country will allow themselves to re-imagine that man's life and the significance it had in the history of this country," said Day-Lewis.
Director Steven Spielberg felt his cast appreciated the task at hand.
"I was back in time. I think we all were," said Spielberg. "And I think everybody -- the actors certainly -- the bar was really high. They wanted to...they wanted to do good by Abraham Lincoln."
They were also pretty excited about working with Spielberg on such an important production.
"I think I cried actually -- there's an admission," said David Oyelowo. "It's the call you want to get."
Joseph Gordon-Levitt acknowledged a certain happiness that came with being at the premiere.
"There's a kind of profound joy to be here that doesn't happen at every movie premiere," he said.
Actress Sally Field said the film is not one to deprive yourself of.
"It's like starving people coming to a table having the most nourishing meal you will ever, ever, ever have and knowing full well you will never have it again, but appreciating every single mouthful," she said.
Day-Lewis says he is just grateful for having been part of "Lincoln."
"It will remain one of the great privileges of my life that I was invited to do that," he said.
"Lincoln" opens in limited release Friday.
movie news, celebrity, movie premiere, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 57 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 24 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere