Sara Rue, Jai Rodriguez join Reba on 'Malibu Country'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Sara Rue and Jai Rodriguez are part of the cast of the ABC television show "Malibu Country." Both have theatre backgrounds. Both have TV experience. And both are having a blast in Malibu.
Sara Rue plays Reba McEntire's next-door neighbor in "Malibu Country." She loves her sometimes over-the-top character. Her character announces on the show that she's pregnant.
"This is the first time I've gotten to play a character like this," said Sara. "I was so excited when I got the job, not only because it's a great gig but it's also just a total departure for me."
Jai Rodriguez plays a record company worker who befriends Reba as she tries to figure out how to re-ignite her music career.
"She's got that moxie that she keeps coming back and being persistent," said Jai. "And I think my character totally respects that and probably is going to become her one ally in the music industry."
For Sara, living the "Malibu" life is a far cry from her own upbringing.
"My parents were both in the New York theatre," said Sara. "My dad was a Broadway stage manager. My mom was an actress. We grew up in an apartment in Manhattan. It's a very different upbringing so I watched a lot of 'Real Housewives of Orange County' and 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' to prepare. I really did."
And for Jai, all those years on "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is something that he just can't shut off.
"I definitely feel like now it's just a part of me. Yeah, it's crazy," said Jai. "I can't give it up as much as I'd like to."
"Malibu Country" airs Friday nights at 8:30 on ABC7.
television, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 19 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- 'Returnaholics' punished by some retailers
7 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
1 min ago