Gerard Butler is a magnet for soccer moms in 'Playing for Keeps'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Playing for Keeps" is a romantic comedy just in time for the holidays. It involves love, parenthood, struggle and soccer.
It's easy for Gerard Butler to score in this movie, and that's off the soccer field. He hopes to score at the box office as a soccer coach trying to win back his ex-wife.
In the film, Butler takes over the coaching duties of his son's soccer team. His character used to play soccer professionally. Now he's hoping to get a job as a sportscaster and reclaim his place in the lives of his ex-wife and their young son.
Butler is also one of the producers of "Playing for Keeps." I asked him if producing will then transfer to screenwriting and directing.
"I have been thinking about it, but when it becomes a serious possibility, I'm like, 'Oh well, I'll just stick with the acting and producing right now,'" said Butler.
Butler's original career plan was a far cry from show business.
"I studied law and I trained as a lawyer and that definitely didn't go the way I wanted it to go," said Butler. "A week away from qualifying, I was fired, which was the best thing that ever happened to me. But at the time, big struggle where I was in my life, and that's what led me into acting."
In this role, he's a magnet for soccer moms, including one played by Catherine Zeta-Jones.
When it comes to the ladies, Butler knows he may not be marriage material. At least not yet.
"I've had a couple of girlfriends who I'm still very good friends with who... especially in younger relationships...were like, 'You're just hopeless. But you're a good guy.' So we became good friends. But yeah, just don't talk to me about relationships," Butler said with a laugh.
"Playing for Keeps" opens Friday. It's rated PG-13.
celebrity, movie news, hollywood wrap
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'