Gerard Butler is a magnet for soccer moms in 'Playing for Keeps'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Playing for Keeps" is a romantic comedy just in time for the holidays. It involves love, parenthood, struggle and soccer.
It's easy for Gerard Butler to score in this movie, and that's off the soccer field. He hopes to score at the box office as a soccer coach trying to win back his ex-wife.
In the film, Butler takes over the coaching duties of his son's soccer team. His character used to play soccer professionally. Now he's hoping to get a job as a sportscaster and reclaim his place in the lives of his ex-wife and their young son.
Butler is also one of the producers of "Playing for Keeps." I asked him if producing will then transfer to screenwriting and directing.
"I have been thinking about it, but when it becomes a serious possibility, I'm like, 'Oh well, I'll just stick with the acting and producing right now,'" said Butler.
Butler's original career plan was a far cry from show business.
"I studied law and I trained as a lawyer and that definitely didn't go the way I wanted it to go," said Butler. "A week away from qualifying, I was fired, which was the best thing that ever happened to me. But at the time, big struggle where I was in my life, and that's what led me into acting."
In this role, he's a magnet for soccer moms, including one played by Catherine Zeta-Jones.
When it comes to the ladies, Butler knows he may not be marriage material. At least not yet.
"I've had a couple of girlfriends who I'm still very good friends with who... especially in younger relationships...were like, 'You're just hopeless. But you're a good guy.' So we became good friends. But yeah, just don't talk to me about relationships," Butler said with a laugh.
"Playing for Keeps" opens Friday. It's rated PG-13.
celebrity, movie news, hollywood wrap
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet 31 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 7 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants