Seacrest, McCarthy host 'New Year's Rockin' Eve'
NEW YORK (KABC) -- There was plenty of music for New Year's Eve in the annual "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest." We lost Dick Clark in April, but the tradition he started four decades ago continued in Times Square Monday night.
Clark started hosting "New Year's Rockin' Eve" in the early 1970s. This year was the first "New Year's Rockin' Eve" without him, but host Ryan Seacrest says he was there in spirit.
"I think it'll be reflective and celebratory in so many ways because he created this tradition on television and he brought us up as kids watching it," said Seacrest. "And you know, we put together a really special night. We've got some great moments of Dick throughout his career and we booked an incredible line-up of artists for people to join us and party while watching, so it'll be a mixed bag of emotions."
Jenny McCarthy also returned to Times Square to bring a little extra fun to the occasion.
"I will be mingling," said McCarthy. "I am still single again this year so I am foreseeing some kiss by someone."
Singer Taylor Swift will be one of the performers in Times Square. Swift will get the headliner position just before midnight.
The New Year's Eve fun started at 8 p.m. PT with McCarthy and singer Fergie hosting the two-hour tribute, "New Year's Rockin' Eve Celebrates Dick Clark."
Then Seacrest took over at 10 p.m. for the annual countdown show.
"You don't have to go anywhere. We can bring the party to you," said Seacrest. "And so if you're going to have some people over, turn on the TV and we'll bring you all this excitement."
It all started at 8 p.m. PT on ABC7, with a break for Eyewitness News At 11, before returning to Times Square for the big countdown.
new year's eve, new york, celebrity, television, abc, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 19 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 11 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 32 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 19 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 59 min ago
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler