Eddie Redmayne auditions for 'Les Mis' on iPhone
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The movie musical "Les Miserables" is hitting the right note at the box office. Since opening on Christmas Day, it's made $73 million in just one week. One actor in the cast used a little high-tech ingenuity to help win his role.
Eddie Redmayne is in the middle of "Les Mis" madness. Before this, he garnered attention starring opposite Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn." And before that, he won a Tony Award for his work on Broadway. But "Les Mis" held special meaning.
"I saw this when I was a kid. It was one of those things that kind of sat in your, this musical," said Eddie. "And when I heard they were making a film of it, I wanted it. I wanted a shot at it."
Eddie was working on another role, but he went into a room, turned on an iPhone and filmed his own audition.
"Something in me decided to record this thing on an iPhone of, really to show my agent that I enjoyed singing," said Eddie. "And I look back and it's a totally bizarre choice. I don't know what I was thinking but it's where it all started, so I'm very grateful for it.
"What was wonderful about making this film for us was the mix of these two worlds," said Eddie. "It was like the theatre world meeting the film world and, as an actor, you bridge both of those. But, weirdly, they're very separate worlds otherwise.
"The stakes felt so high on this film because we all cared so much and we knew that the fans cared so much."
Eddie is reportedly now in negotiations to join Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum in the Wachowski siblings' next sci-fi film, "Jupiter Ascending."
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video