Tanna Frederick talks 'Rainmaker' theatrical production in Santa Monica
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- In the Los Angeles theater scene, "The Rainmaker" is taking the stage for a new run. This one is not based on the John Grisham novel turned Matt Damon movie. It's from N. Richard Nash's play, which also became a film.
Katharine Hepburn starred in the 1956 film "The Rainmaker." Tanna Frederick takes on the same role in a live production at the 99-seat Edgemar Center for the Arts in Santa Monica.
"The fact that we get to do such a classic piece in front of a small group of people in an intimate space is really lovely," Frederick said.
Actors don't do small theatre for the money. It's just not there. They do it for the art. Frederick loves that commitment.
"Theater is - it's almost a responsibility sometimes, but it's a fun responsibility because you get to go to see a really beautiful show with actors who are excited that you're there and want to make you happy," she said.
"The rainmaker" tells the story of a woman who's worried she'll never get married and is unable to see her inner beauty.
"She's very plain," Frederick said. "I'm not quite sure how to take that when people tell me, 'You're perfect for that role.' Not quite sure, but thank you."
Frederick makes movies, too. This is from "irene in time."
She starred in "Irene in Time" and the film version of "Just 45 Minutes to Broadway," which first played on the Los Angeles stage for a year.
David Garver made that movie with her, and he plays her brother in "The Rainmaker." He's also the guy who inspired her to become an actor.
"I was in fourth grade and I went and saw 'Oliver' at the children's theater," Frederick said. "He was playing the artful dodger. I saw that and it was crowded, I was sitting on the steps and I saw his performance and I said, 'This is what I'm doing for the rest of my life.'"
"The Rainmaker" opens at the Edgemar Center for the Arts on Jan. 10.
theater news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 4 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 33 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 40 min ago