'Gangster Squad' review: Terrific film noir
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Sean Penn puts on prosthetics to play mobster Mickey Cohen in "Gangster Squad," the 1940s-era crime drama. Cohen's plan is to own L.A.
The movie is inspired by real events. Josh Brolin plays the fearless cop who puts together a secret squad to topple Cohen's criminal empire.
Brolin's cop character doesn't hesitate, and that makes him really interesting to watch. The 1940s feel fits Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone very well. Scenes with the cop and the gangster moll seem both of the time and tweaked for today's audiences.
"Gangster Squad" has a terrific film noir feel. It also has some over-the-top moments that feel created solely for the cinematic effect. You might say, "Yeah, right." But you'll still give the filmmakers credit for the way the scenes look visually.
After the Colorado movie theater shooting, a similar scene in "Gangster Squad" filmed at Grauman's Chinese Theatre was replaced by a shooting scene in Chinatown. It's a seamless switch and you still get the point.
"Gangster Squad" tells a heightened tale of a time gone by.
It's fun seeing L.A. transformed back to another time again, and hearing the names of real people who were a part of this story. That includes one-time L.A. Police Chief William H. Parker, played with huff and puff gruff by Nick Nolte.
The entertaining "Gangster Squad" is rated R.
movie news, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 22 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 2 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 17 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2