'Hansel & Gretel' gets new spin at box office
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Once upon time, Hansel and Gretel were just kids, and a witch tried to kill them. But she ended up on the losing end of a hot oven. Today, the siblings are bounty hunters who track down and kill witches all over the world.
"For me, it's almost a natural continuation of it. If that happened to those kids when they were young, it would do something to their heads. They won't be normal kids," said director Tommy Wirkola.
"Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" stars Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. This adventure takes them back to a secret from their past. Renner and Arterton say their chemistry came easy.
"Her audition tape was amazing, and we spoke on the phone, and then I told her kind of where I was coming from and what I was really thinking for this, for us, because it's not really Hansel or Gretel, it's a team sort of effort," Renner said.
It's is an R-rated action-adventure with plenty of action.
"I always loved films growing up that combines horror and gore, but they also have their own quirky sense of humor," Wirkola said. "That was always the goal of this film to just be a really fun ride for the audience."
Along for this action-filled, often dangerous ride is a giant troll who is not computer generated.
"The animatronic was so good," Arterton said. "It was a real team effort, and, you know, he'd make a little expression, and you can't help but feel something from that. It's like you're acting with another actor."
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Deliveryman fatally shot in South Los Angeles 7 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 40 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 43 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals 50 min ago
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
2 min ago