'Oz the Great and Powerful' gives back-story of Wizard of Oz
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Oz took a trip to Hollywood Wednesday for the premiere of "Oz the Great and Powerful."
In the film from director Sam Raimi, a young man played by James Franco is caught in a tornado that takes him from Kansas to Oz.
That's where we get the back-story of how a circus magician named Oscar Diggs came to be known as the Wizard of Oz.
"I know that there would be great expectations for a movie about Oz because I would have them," said Franco. "It's a movie for families, obviously, just like the first one. And then because my character is comedic, I think that does play a little bit older."
Michelle Williams plays Glinda.
"I just responded to the person that I met on the page. I just responded to the words and the way that she was written and then when I met Sam, I knew I really wanted to collaborate with him," said Williams.
Rachel Weisz is a wicked witch.
"I hope you're going to love to hate me. That would be my hope. I play a very, very, very bad girl," said Weisz.
"Oz the Great and Powerful" opens March 8. It's rated PG.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 16 min ago
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale 28 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 1 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)