Oscar host Seth MacFarlane sought advice from Billy Crystal
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- Oscar host Seth MacFarlane is getting ready to bring his humor to the stage. He has been working on it for five months and we'll finally get to see the results of all that effort on Sunday.
"Once you get through the opening, unless you do something really stupid...you're pretty much gold," said MacFarlane.
MacFarlane knows what awaits him when he takes the Oscar stage. There's an audience at home with high expectations.
"And you have a room that's relatively thin-skinned. It's probably the toughest audience out there, so if you're too soft, they're not going to give you much. If you're too hard on them, they're going to gasp and turn on you. So I expect to have them hating me within the first 30 seconds," said MacFarlane.
MacFarlane is known as the voice of "Ted." But he's best known for the many voices he plays on TV's "Family Guy."
When he was hired, MacFarlane sought the counsel of someone who's been there many times before.
"I talked to Billy Crystal, and he was a super nice guy and genuinely helpful, took time out of his schedule to sit down with me. I came out of it with some practical, practical stuff," said MacFarlane. "It's hard enough to find that balance when you're trying to do it traditionally. We're trying to mix it up a little bit, so this could be a disaster. Or it could be fantastic."
With Oscar Sunday just days away, play the My Picks game to choose who you think will win in each award category.
Have a smart phone or tablet? Download the free official Oscars app to get news and updates about the show. It's available for Apple, Android and Kindle devices.
The Oscars will air live on ABC7 on Feb. 24.
Oscar Sunday lineup:
- 1:30 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 4 p.m.: The Oscars Red Carpet Live
- 5:30 p.m.: The Oscars
- 8:30 p.m.: On The Red Carpet at The Oscars
- 10 p.m.: Jimmy Kimmel Live
- 11 p.m.: Eyewitness News
movie news, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event