Nicole Kidman continues risky streak in 'Stoker'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nicole Kidman is continuing her string of risky films and roles with her turn in twisted drama "Stoker."
The 45-year-old actress says she just chooses parts she finds interesting and different, and worthy of time away from her daughters.
"As you become older and you've got a family and you've got all these other things that are very, very important, the preciousness of time and how you use it becomes far more important. So you're less likely to take risks. Because you're like 'Hm, I'm not sure that's going to work out. So I don't want to waste my time,'" Kidman said. "So that's something I'm actually now pushing through. Because I don't want to become like that particularly as I get older. I want to stay in that very risk-taking, so-be-it, give-it-a-go, why-not place."
Sometimes, those risky roles only come after you produce them yourself.
"I'm in the position also where I can buy the occasional book or story and develop it -- which is also a very different thing now, which is fantastic," she said.
Kidman calls "Stoker" a stylized fairy tale horror thriller. It co-stars fellow Austrailian, Mia Wasikowska, who revealed she looks up to Kidman, much to her embarrassment.
"Nicole is a role model for anyone coming from Australia," Wasikowska said. "It's pretty amazing to be in a film with her. So it's been cool."
You'll see Kidman and Wasikowska in "Stoker" in theaters this weekend.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants