James Franco becomes 'Oz The Great and Powerful' in new prequel
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- James Franco is the man who becomes the Wizard of Oz in the new film "Oz The Great And Powerful." It's actually a prequel, even if it's coming out 74 years after the original.
In "Oz The Great and Powerful," James Franco plays a circus magician who finds his way to a land called Oz, thanks to a tornado.
Franco is a fan of "The Wizard of Oz," and of his "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi, who is the wizard behind this film too.
"I think Sam and the writers are very smart and put just the right amount of things that we recognize as Oz-ian and then had their own spin on it," said Franco.
"People do have an idea of Oz," said Franco. "There are things that they want from Oz. So the Yellow Brick Road, the Emerald City, flying monkeys, witches. These are things that people expect, and if they weren't there it wouldn't quite feel like Oz.
"There's a girl made entirely out of porcelain called 'China Girl,' played by Joey King. And Joey gave a great performance and the artists and puppeteers that helped create that character just did a wonderful job," said Franco. "She's so charming. Some of my favorite scenes are with that character."
"Oz The Great and Powerful" is rated PG. It opens Friday.
But first, on Thursday James Franco gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
movie news, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 17 min ago
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 2 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 5 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book