'Starbuck' film is about sperm donor who fathered over 500 kids
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Starbuck" is the story of a one-time sperm donor who learns his 693 donations have resulted in 533 children. Those kids are now adults and some of them want to meet their biological father.
The film is a French-Canadian hit comedy that's now crossed the border into America. Just when a guy learns he's about to become a father, he learns he already is to more than 500 kids. And 142 of them want to meet him.
"People think that this premise of this guy having 533 kids, they think it is just science fiction. It is actually happening out there," said director Ken Scott. "There are several cases of sperm donors that end up with 150, 200, 500 kids."
In the film, the mystery donor known as "Starbuck" begins to secretly learn about the children he fathered, trying to figure out his next step.
"This guy is great because he does a lot of bad things, but his intentions are always nice and genuine," said actor Patrick Huard. "This guy is not a superhero, he is just human. I love it."
Scott said people often forget there are subtitles because of Huard's performance.
"We're so involved in his journey and what he is living that we sort of forget the fact that we are reading," said Scott.
"Starbuck" is in one theater right now. It goes a little wider on Friday. In October, you'll see Vince Vaughn in an American remake of the film, also directed by Scott.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 42 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 33 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2