Colin Firth talks new film 'Arthur Newman'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In the new film "Arthur Newman," Oscar winner Colin Firth stars as a man who is completely disenchanted with his life and takes drastic steps to reinvent himself.
Armed with a new identity, he leaves his old life behind and sets out to fulfill his long forgotten dreams.
"I think people often feel a need to look beyond what they've achieved or haven't achieved," Firth said.
Along the way, he meets a troubled but free-spirited young woman, played by Emily Blunt. She says she was attracted to a film that she feels inspires conversation.
"It seemed to be a script that carved out new space for itself. I hadn't read anything like that in ages," Blunt said. "When we first met, we were like, isn't it weird that you kind of read it and you love it but you don't know why and then you read it again and then there's more stuff? It was very exciting."
Both actors appreciate a story that can stay with an audience after the credits have rolled.
"I'm not very interested in doing something for the sake of a message," Firth said. "I do like something that stays active with people beyond the end of the film."
"Arthur Newman" is in limited release now.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions 59 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Alison Arngrim speaks about sex abuse
56 min ago