Kerry Washington: 'Peeples' gives people something to laugh about
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Kerry Washington leaves the seriousness of "Scandal" behind and laughs it up in the new movie "Peeples."
"This year has been so serious with 'Django' and 'Scandal,' and I love those roles and those opportunities, but it's great, especially right now with what's going on in the world, it's so great that this movie gives people a chance to laugh and smile and feel good about life, and about love and family," she said.
In "Peeples," Washington's family is celebrating a reunion weekend. Craig Robinson plays the boyfriend no one knows about who decides to crash the party and meet the parents.
There are high hopes for "Peeples" success. It's the latest film from the production company run by Tyler Perry.
"Tyler stepped in, not just with financing but to kind of bless the film and put his name behind it and champion new filmmakers, so it's just such a great example of how he's using his power for good," Washington said.
The combination of talent on the film also includes David Alan Grier and S. Epatha Merkerson as Washington's parents. And playing her grandmother is the legendary Diahann Carroll, in her first film in 16 years.
"If there's one reason to see the movie it's Diahann Carroll!" said Washington.
"Peeples" is rated PG-13 and is in theaters this weekend.
celebrity, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 41 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station 42 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 40 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...