$700 independent film 'Bank Roll' is on a roll
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A new independent film called "Bank Roll" cost a whole lot less to make than some of the big-budget films out there, such as "Star Trek Into Darkness," which reportedly cost $190 million to make.
"Bank Roll" cost "$721.31, to the penny," director Doug Maguire said with a laugh.
Maguire and friend Johnny Scalco are the two creative forces behind the film. They were involved with every aspect of production.
"I am producer, actor, creator with Doug Maguire," said Scalco.
Maguire said he did the camera, lighting and directing. Despite its microscopic budget, "Bank Roll" is on a roll. It has won six small film festival awards and one even bigger prize.
"We just picked up a distribution deal," said Scalco. "It's amazing what you can do when you just put your mind to it and just say, 'Let's do it.'"
Maguire and Scalco unsuccessfully tried getting a movie made in the late 1990s, then lost contact with each other.
"When Doug and I reconnected after 15 years, we said, 'You know what? If we're going to do something, we've got to create our own opportunity,' so that's what we did," Scalco said.
"Bank Roll" was shot mostly in Toluca Lake with a handheld camera and a dream to make a good movie.
"We didn't go to film school, so we don't follow the rules," Maguire said. "We don't have too many weird moments, but there's enough interesting stuff in there to kind of get someone saying, 'Hey, I think that they did something different. Maybe they're on to something.'"
Maguire and Scalco are currently in production on their next film. "Bank Roll" will be on DVD in October.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 16 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 59 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 29 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter