Steve Carell has busy 2013; next is 'Despicable Me 2'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This year is proving to be a busy one for actor Steve Carell. He started the year in the comedy, "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone," and he'll end it with "Anchorman 2." But next up, we'll see him getting back in to the animated "gru"ve, reprising his role in the sequel, "Despicable Me 2."
In "Despicable Me 2," Carell returns to a film franchise that proved to be a favorite - not just with audiences, but also with his own kids. The first movie made $250 million.
"My son was in kindergarten when the first one came out and they've been asking about a second, so the wait is over," said Carell.
While the Carell kids are thrilled to know dad is in this movie, his role of former bad-guy "Gru" is not the family favorite.
"I don't take it personally at all," said Carell.
He said his kids' favorite characters are the minions.
"One of the things I like about this movie is that it takes the whole idea of being a minion to a new level. Without giving too much away, it's the one thing I can't wait for my kids to see, is what happens with these minions," said Carell.
What we see with this sequel is a state of the art level of 3D animation. Steve gives all credit to the behind-the-scenes team who work movie magic that he says he can't begin to understand.
"I don't want to know. I don't want to see how the sausage is made. I just see the final product and it's remarkable," said Carell.
We'll be seeing a lot of Carell between now and the end of the year. After "Despicable Me 2", he has three more films coming out.
"It's just kind of by virtue of when everything lined up. It seemed that in this period, now through Christmas, there's a lot. But after that, you'll never see me again," he said with a laugh.
Before we see "Anchorman 2" in December, we'll see Carell in "The Way, Way Back" on July 5. In the fall, he'll be in the drama "Foxcatcher."
"Despicable Me 2" is in theaters next Wednesday.
movie news, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 57 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 46 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts