'Way, Way Back' brings summer angst to box office
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "The Way, Way Back" brings a little summer angst into the summer box office. It focuses on a 14-year-old boy who doesn't always fit in.
Liam James learned something playing the role.
"I can relate to a lot of the things Duncan was going through," said James. "You have be yourself and have confidence that people are going to like you for you and you're going to find the right people for you."
In the film, Duncan finds some solace when he takes a job at the local water park and one of the workers, played by Sam Rockwell, takes him under his wing.
"Maybe he sees something in the kid that he experienced as a kid and he sees potential in him. And it becomes his mission to kind of bust him out of his shell a little bit," said Rockwell.
Steve Carell plays Duncan's mother's not-so-nice boyfriend.
"I was sort of an awkward kid as well. It's just a transitional period for anyone, but especially for a kid at that age, it's tough," said Carell. "You've got one foot in childhood and one foot in adulthood and you are trying to navigate that and it's dicey."
Allison Janney is also a part of the fun of this film from co-writers and co-directors Nat Faxon and Jim Rash. She plays a mom who's a bit of a mess.
"Jim and Nat gave me the best piece of direction. They told me to treat him as if he was my husband of, you know, 14 years, instead of my son. And so we had that old married couple relationship," said Janney.
"The Way, Way Back" is in limited release now. It's rated PG-13.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)