Whoopi Goldberg talks 'Sister Act' at Pantages Theatre
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Whoopi Goldberg has produced several projects, both on TV and on the stage. One of those shows, "Sister Act," has made its way to the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.
Whether it's Celie Johnson from "The Color Purple" or Oda Mae Brown from "Ghost" or Deloris Van Cartier from "Sister Act," characters Goldberg has helped bring to life on the big screen keep coming back, all three on the Broadway stage.
"I always try to shake them off after I done them, but they keep coming back, you know," she said.
The woman who is front and center on "The View" every day is happy to take a role behind the scenes. She serves as a producer for the musical "Sister Act."
"I know that I don't have eight shows a week in me, so I don't mind helping to put together a good show," Goldberg said.
After winning the Oscar in 1991 for "Ghost," she had her first introduction to "Sister Act" -- thanks to someone else saying no!
"Bette Midler, this was her part, and Bette turned it down, and so they came to me," Goldberg said.
The film and the stage musical share some similarities, but there's one big difference.
"Dolores is still black, that's what I can tell you," Goldberg said. "But she can actually sing, where my Dolores couldn't sing, this girl opens her mouth, and angels appear. It's great."
As was the case with the film, Goldberg likes the fact that this is a show that has something for everyone.
"You can bring your great-great-grandmother and your 7-year-old. You can't get into trouble seeing this show," she said. "It's relatable, it's fun and the music is great."
"Sister Act" is playing at the Pantages Theatre through July 28.
hollywood, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 8 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 6 min ago
- Two smart watch models put to the test
42 min ago