'Drinking Buddies' raises glass to friendship and its complications
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The new movie "Drinking Buddies" is now in theaters, raising a glass to friendship and all its complications.
Two best friends and their significant others belly up to the bar for the brewery-based comedy "Drinking Buddies." Olivia Wilde and Jake Johnson play best pals who are more than comfortable with one another.
While the title may make this sound like a racy comedy, "Drinking Buddies" actually tackles some pretty heavy relationship issues.
"It's as much of a drama as it is a comedy and there's a lot of laughs in there, but it's a serious movie," said Johnson.
"Warning would maybe be don't go with your best friend that you're secretly in love with, or do if you want the conversation to happen," said Wilde.
"Our director really tried to make an honest movie, and so rather than do necessarily moves that you would expect to see in a movie he just tried to do what would actually happen with these four human beings," said Wilde.
One technique director Joe Swanberg utilizes to guide the characters through this tangled web of love and friendship: lots of improvisation. And there was another element that helped move the journey along: beer. Plenty of beer.
"Our director wanted us to drink real beer," said Johnson. "Made it kind of amazing. And my director would say 'Hey man, what's going on?' He goes 'What kind of beer do you want?'"
"Good morning. What breakfast beer would you like?," said Wilde.
Ron Livingston and Anna Kendrick round out the "Drinking Buddies" foursome, with Jason Sudeikis in a supporting role.
The film is rated "R."
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 7 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)