Billy Bob Thornton returns to directing in 'Jayne Mansfield's Car'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Billy Bob Thornton returns to the director's chair for the first time in more than a decade, telling a family story set in the South called "Jayne Mansfield's Car."
Thornton writes, directs and acts in the new film, which takes place in the late 1960s. It looks at how war, life, love and death has affected various generations of one family.
The 58-year-old Thornton gathered an impressive group of his friends to round out the ensemble cast, including Robert Duvall, Kevin Bacon, John Hurt and Robert Patrick.
"All those guys are people I've known over the years," Thornton said. "Once you pick the right people, probably over half your job is done really."
Thornton said he wasn't nervous directing a legend like Duvall.
"You just call 'action' and 'cut.' There's nothing to it," Thornton said.
Thornton will be seen again next month in another ensemble drama. In "Parkland," he plays the head of the Secret Service in Dallas on the day President Kennedy was shot.
The fact that he's drawn to films set in the 1960s is not lost on Thornton.
"Certainly people of my generation revere the '60s and look back on it with fondness, but also, it was a very heavy time," Thornton said. "We look at the '60s as the ultimate for artists."
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- Kelly Thomas trial: Surveillance video shown
- NYC train crash airs queries about technology
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Best high-tech toys for kids this season
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- Paul Walker crash seen on surveillance video
- Ben Stiller marks prints at TCL Theatre
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video
- TN teacher's social media lesson goes viral
47 min ago
- Sea turtles call local San Gabriel River home
16 min ago