'Rush' tells story of rivalry between 2 Formula One drivers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Rush" is based on a true story from the 1970s. It takes place in the fast world of Formula One racing. And while racing is the backdrop for the film, this is really the story of a rivalry between two drivers.
In the film, Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl star as famed Formula One drivers James Hunt, the playboy of the circuit, and Niki Lauda, the methodical mastermind.
"I love playing characters that I partly envy. And I envy Niki for his fearlessness and straightforwardness," said Bruhl. "It was so accurate and it was intense, and it was not conventional. In the movie, you don't have a hero and a villain. Eventually, you like both of these guys."
Both men are very different.
"One was a mathematician and would absolutely calculate everything. He was disciplined. The other guy was visceral from the gut, head down, go for it, party, drink, smoke, women, whatever, indulging kind of everything," said Hemsworth. "It's a character drama. I think the film has tested highest amongst women who aren't Formula One fans and that says something about what it's about."
There is definitely drama and plenty of danger all spinning around two men who charted their own courses.
"They both had something the other didn't and vice versa. And, you know, that was kind of fascinating," said Hemsworth.
"Rush" is directed by Ron Howard. It opens in limited release this weekend.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate