'Prisoners,' 'Rush' both compelling dramas for different reasons
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Prisoners" and "Rush" both offer edge-of-your-seat drama - but for very different reasons. One offers high-speed thrills, while the other may give you the chills.
In "Prisoners," Jake Gyllenhaal plays a cop trying to solve the disappearance of two little girls.
Hugh Jackman plays the father of one of them, a guy who decides to take matters into his own hands when a suspect in the case is set free.
"Prisoners" makes you wonder what you'd do if you thought your child had been kidnapped.
Jackman is forceful and frightening, while Gyllenhaal is measured and menacing.
The supporting cast includes Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Viola Davis, Melissa Leo and Paul Dano. All deliver convincing performances.
"Prisoners" is in-your-face, punch-your-gut and hold-your-breath storytelling. It is a sometimes brutal, sometimes scary R-rated story, but it's a good mystery - one you probably won't be able to solve but love guessing along the way.
It's a compelling movie but it's not for the faint of heart.
The pulse-pounding world of Formula One is the backdrop of director Ron Howard's new film, "Rush." It's based on the true story of a 1970s rivalry between drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda, played by Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl.
While Lauda was disciplined and loved to win, Hunt enjoyed the benefits of being a star in the racing world.
"Rush" is an energetic ride, but at times, you feel the danger as it plays out. Hemsworth and Bruhl are both great as the key players, and Howard knows just how to mix racing and rivalry to help tell a compelling, visual story. Olivia Wilde has a supporting role in the film.
"Rush" is a smart and slick flick.
Like "Prisoners," "Rush" is also rated R and it's also a really good film.
movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified 37 min ago
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians