Carol Burnett, Marilu Henner raise awareness for Alzheimer's disease
WATTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three very funny ladies are helping out a very serious cause. They and some other entertainers are helping raise awareness and money all in the name of Alzheimer's disease.
Carol Burnett and Marilu Henner headed the cast of the ensemble reading of the play, "Surviving Grace" Wednesday night.
They did it for US against Alzheimer's, a national advocacy group committed to stopping the disease by the year 2020.
The play is based on a real story of a daughter who becomes a caregiver for her mother when she's stricken with Alzheimer's.
"It's the sixth cause of death and it's the one that has absolutely no cure on the horizon," said Henner. "It's got such a minimal amount of funding, it's crazy. It's ridiculous that this is happening."
"Everybody's getting older and, you know, if they don't try harder to find a cure for Alzheimer's, think of what it's going to cost," said Burnett.
Also in the cast are Elliott Gould, Helen Reddy, Brian McNamara, Lou Gossett Jr. and Loni Anderson.
"I just want to be here to support everybody who's dealing with this. It's affecting my life, my friends," said Anderson.
Burnett said the story's writing and the message drew her to the project. Anderson also said the topic is something everyone can relate to, which makes for a compelling story.
"I'm all about Alzheimer's these days because I really want us to help find a cure," Henner said.
theater news, health, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 24 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 51 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 13 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 17 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 19 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
53 min ago