Sandra Bullock talks challenges of filming 'Gravity'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Sandra Bullock plays a medical engineer on her first shuttle mission in director Alfonso Cuaron's new 3D drama, "Gravity."
The thrill of being in outer space is quickly tempered for Bullock's character when the ultimate disaster strikes. I told Bullock it's probably the best 3D I've ever seen in a film.
"Because it was used specifically for the emotion. It wasn't used to say, 'Oh, look at what 3D can do.' It was used to establish a sense of space, and then it was used to establish terror and to show the diversity and the angst of what's coming at you," said Bullock.
Bullock had a lot thrown at her during this grueling film shoot. But she went to great lengths to make sure she could physically handle the part.
She said she worked out for about six months before shooting and then every day while the film was being shot.
"Lunch was in the workout box," she said. "It had to be done so I wouldn't hurt myself and I could execute what Alfonso needed on the gymnastics level."
George Clooney co-stars in "Gravity," but truth be told, Bullock spent much of the movie acting opposite no one.
"It was a struggle. And when George was there, it was like sun and life had entered the room. When he left, there was like two days I was depressed. I've never had that visceral of a reaction when someone has left and I went, 'I'm miserable. I'm miserable without that help.' But that misery and that loneliness worked. Instead of fighting it, which I did for a while, you just used it," said Bullock.
"Gravity" is rated PG-13 and is in theaters this weekend.
celebrity, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 6 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns 33 min ago
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke