'Dancing With The Stars': Valerie Harper eliminated from ballroom
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There was a three-way tie for first place on "Dancing With The Stars" Monday night. But there was also the elimination of the season's third celebrity contestant.
She doesn't get the mirror ball, but she sure gets the award of courage, determination and admiration. You ask anyone at "Dancing With The Stars," and they'll tell you Valerie Harper is a champ.
She's 74, she has a bum knee and she's battling terminal cancer. Yet Harper still took on the challenge of "Dancing With The Stars." She danced for the nation for four weeks, loving her latest adventure.
"It's great to be here. This is big time. This is really a lovely, wonderful, joyous celebration of a show," said Harper. "I do feel the love. I feel tremendous love from America since I announced the condition in...March and I'm still here. So what do I got to be complaining about?"
Her dance partner, Tristan MacManus, says Harper has definitely reinforced perspective.
"I think that's something that's very, very easily lost in all senses," said MacManus.
Harper said the results are fair.
"You saw the level of the dancing. If we're judging dancing, then we have to. It just can't be popularity -- 'Oh, I loved her as Rhoda' or 'Poor thing has cancer.' You don't want that, do you? I don't," said Harper.
Harper will now cheer on her cast mates in what's being a very competitive season.
Three teams tied for first with the judges Monday night. Elizabeth Berkley Lauren and Val Chmerkovskiy scored triple nines. So did Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff, along with Amber Riley and Derek Hough.
Riley danced with an injured knee. But after the show, I joked that she was faking it.
"I wish that I had that picture to show you of that syringe that was in my knee. I'm going to text it to you to show you the juices that came out of it," said Riley.
Jack Osbourne, Leah Remini, Nicole Polizzi and Christina Milian all scored triple eights, with Brant Daugherty and Bill Engvall getting triple sevens.
Engvall got emotional when he made it through.
"I didn't want to like this this much, but I just love dancing with this girl and she's like my little baby daughter," Engvall said of partner Emma Slater.
dancing with the stars, television, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)