Country singer speaks out against bullying
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Singer Lizzie Sider was recently named "artist to watch in 2013" by the Country Music Association. Her first two singles charted in the top 40. But for this 15-year-old, her real focus is on her music's message.
Sider is visiting more than 80 schools, singing and speaking out against bullying. She performed at an assembly this week at John Burroughs Middle School.
It wasn't long ago that she had her own experience with kids who were mean.
"It was very, very hard for me, and I would come home crying almost every single day," she said.
But then her dad offered a bit of advice that stuck with her.
"Nobody has the power to ruin your day, and it was really a life changing thing for me," Sider said.
Sider wrote about overcoming her own bullying experiences in "Butterfly," a song about positivity and self-esteem. The feedback she's gotten has been the biggest reward.
"I like how she told her story and let other people tell what they've been through," said student A.J. Jackson. "I could really relate to her."
Wrist bands with her message "Nobody has the power to ruin your day" are given to all the kids at the assemblies to take home for inspiration.
Sider has been nominated for a Hollywood Music in Media award and will be performing at the ceremony next Thursday.
music news, school, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 4 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire 24 min ago
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 27 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg 32 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah...
23 min ago