'Dancing With The Stars' finale: 3 couples left, Bill Engvall eliminated
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the remaining four couples on "Dancing With the Stars" was eliminated Monday night in part 1 of the season 17 finale.
Bill Engvall's "Indiana Jones"-inspired freestyle routine had one judge calling him the dancing hero of the every man. His scores often lingered at the bottom but his fans kept him near the top.
After 11 weeks, Engvall and his partner, Emma Slater, left the competition happy in a very respectable fourth place.
"It's the perfect ending, you know? When we started this, we had no illusions of winning this thing or even getting past round four. So to be here in the finals and her first year, I couldn't be happier," said Engvall.
The competition isn't over yet. There's still one more dance. But Amber Riley and Derek Hough are feeling pretty good after another first place finish and perfect scores for their Charleston and their western-inspired freestyle routine.
"She nailed everything and I feel really good with what we produced," said Hough.
In second place right now is Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff, who also heard 10-10-10 for their freestyle tribute to Michael Jackson.
"You put everything into it and you go out there and you know that it's been a week of hard work that pays off," said Bleu.
Smirnoff talked about the challenges of the freestyle dance.
"With the freestyle, you know, you realize that it's the biggest dance of the season. And we had so many elements that if they would've gone wrong, we probably would've been taken out on a stretcher," said Smirnoff.
Currently in third place with the judges are Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke. They also got triple 10s for their freestyle and will dance one last time Tuesday night.
"I'm just going to do what I'm going to do. I'm going to have fun. I'm going to smile. I'm going to try not to make Cheryl cry because then that makes me cry. It's a big mess. I'm just that guy. I've become that guy. I was not this guy 11 weeks ago," said Osbourne.
Tuesday night's two-hour season finale starts at 9 p.m. on ABC7.
dancing with the stars, television, celebrity, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role