Intelligence Report: Jesse Jackson Jr. plea bargain negotiations have been going on for months
November 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- In this Intelligence Report: As Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. remains under medical care at the Mayo Clinic, his political behavior is under scrutiny in Washington, DC, and both situations may be coming to a head.
The FBI and the Justice Department have had an open investigation of Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. for more than three years.
Jackson may have won re-election in Illinois' 2nd District on Tuesday, with 63 percent of the vote, but there are questions as to whether he will serve out that term.
In Washington Thursday night, federal law enforcement sources say that plea bargain discussions have been under way for months between Jackson's lawyers and the Justice Department.
Although nothing is final, plea bargains usually involved reduced criminal charges in exchange for a guilty plea.
This new information comes after the I-Team's reports last month that authorities were looking into whether Jackson used $100,000 in campaign funds to decorate his Washington home.
Federal law enforcement sources say there are new allegations he spent $40,000 in campaign funds on a Rolex watch for a female friend.
The eight-term congressman has already been slammed by House ethics investigators who found that in 2008 Jackson used staff resources in his Washington and Chicago offices were used to mount a "public campaign" to secure appointment to the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Barack Obama and that in doing so Rep. Jackson may have violated federal law and House rule.
As the federal criminal investigation appears to be in its late stages, Jackson continues treatment in Minnesota for bipolar disorder and it isn't clear when -- or whether -- he will return to Congress, although his website is offering tickets to President Barack Obama's January 21 inauguration.
The I-Team has learned that local election officials are preparing for a possible special election next year, should Jackson resign.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 42 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'