I-Team: Illinois, Indiana in middle of gun control issue
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- More than 100 days since the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, a nationwide media blitz is underway aimed at getting federal gun laws changed.
And Illinois and Indiana are in the middle of the unending controversy.
A commercial has started running in 13 states including Indiana.
It is part of $12 million in televison ad time bought by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg to pressure senators from those states into backing federal gun control legislation.
When Congress comes back from its spring break, it will take up a bill that calls for expanded background checks, tougher sentences for gun trafficking and more funding for school safety.
However, the legislation would not ban assault-style weapons even though the White House still wants lawmakers to vote on that issue.
"Are they willing to demonstrate the political courage to take the kind of step that we know would have a significant impact on getting military style weapons off the streets of communities all across America?" White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.
The campaign for background checks is backed by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group the includes Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and a dozen other Illinois mayors.
According to the group's own research, Illinois is among the worst states when it comes a gun buyer background checks using an incomplete database that fails to block gun sales to some buyers with mental problems.
On Thursday the Mayors Against Illegal Guns group will participate in 100 events across the country, asking for what they call common sense gun laws.
One of the rallies will be in Gary, Indiana as Indiana continues to be a state whose U.S. senators are being targeted by the Bloomberg televison ads.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 46 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere