Judge Waives Fine Against Elderly Woman Given Jaywalking Ticket
LOS ANGELES, July 8, 2006 -- An 82-year-old woman who was given a jaywalking ticket for taking too long to cross a busy street had her $114 fine waived by a court commissioner.
Mayvis Coyle became somewhat of an international sensation when her case was broadcast across the world. Camera crews began showing up to her trailer unannounced, interested in her plight, and senior citizen advocates were outraged that she received a ticket.
Last week, Coyle received by mail the June 20 ruling from Superior Court Commissioner Jeffrey Harkavy who found her guilty of jaywalking but suspended the fine.
"It sounds like a compromise, like they're trying to save face," Coyle's son, Jim Coyle, told the Los Angeles Daily News, which first reported the incident. "We're grateful for everyone's support."
Coyle was vacationing in Colorado and was unavailable for comment.
Police officials said Coyle entered a busy San Fernando Valley intersection on Feb. 15 after the red "Don't Walk" sign began blinking. Coyle said she began shuffling across the intersection with her cane in one hand and groceries in the other on a white "Walk" signal.
Coyle said a motorcycle officer who stopped her said, "You're obstructing the flow of traffic," before issuing her the ticket.
Police officials maintained throughout the case that the officer acted appropriately and was looking out for Coyle's welfare. The department subsequently launched a series of pedestrian-safety workshops at local senior centers.
"How could she have gone any faster?" said Bill Daniel, chief executive officer of ONEgeneration, a senior-services agency. "It just seems like we have to be more patient."
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Nelson Mandela memorial to see world leaders 55 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge 31 min ago
- Leighton Meester to make Broadway debut
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke