Women Recovering From Indoor BBQ Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
LONG BEACH, December 19, 2006 -- Two Long Beach women are recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning after they used a barbecue inside their home to battle the recent wave of chilly weather.
Paramedics were called to a duplex occupied by six family members at 1725 Jackson St. at 9:30 Monday night, according to Long Beach fire Capt. Mike Duree.
When they arrived, they found a 64-year-old woman lying face down, unconscious, on the porch, with her front door cracked open. While she was revived, firefighters searched her side of the duplex and found a small barbecue being used to heat the duplex, Duree said.
Inside they found the victim's daughter, a woman in her 30s. The daughter was conscious, but started showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning while accompanying her mother to the hospital in an ambulance.
Both women were admitted to Long Beach Memorial Hospital. Officials say both women are showing stable signs Tuesday morning and are expected to survive.
Four other people who are related to the two women live on the other side of the duplex, Duree said. Firefighters made sure everyone was out of the building, then opened windows and doors to clear the air.
The use of a barbecue indoors is never safe because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"We see this sort of thing about once a year," Duree said. "But under no circumstances should you use a barbecue as a heater. The consequences can be deadly."
A space heater is a safer alternative source of heat for the cost- conscious, he said.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Symptoms of exposure include headache, dizziness, nausea and sleepiness.
"It makes you sleepy, then you go to sleep and you don't wake up," Duree said.
According to a Center for Disease Control estimate, about 500 people die in the U.S. every year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees