Woman Killed, Man Injured in Boating Accident
LOS ANGELES, February 21, 2007 -- One woman was killed and a man was injured about two miles off the coast of L.A. when a tow line snapped on a tug boat that was about to start hauling a barge.
Piper Cameron of Huntington Beach suffered a broken neck and was in cardiac arrest when rescue crews arrived late Tuesday morning. The 26-year-old was taken to a hospital where she died.
Thirty-eight year old Scott Dekraai had a broken leg and also was taken to a hospital.
Sheriff's investigators say the tug boat was readying itself to tow a barge when a line snapped.
The line struck Cameron, knocking her unconscious against the rail of the boat. Dekraai was struck by the tow line when he ran to her aid.
U.S. Coast Guard officials are investigating the accident.
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 51 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video