Woman Killed, Man Injured in Boating Accident
LOS ANGELES, February 21, 2007 -- One woman was killed and a man was injured about two miles off the coast of L.A. when a tow line snapped on a tug boat that was about to start hauling a barge.
Piper Cameron of Huntington Beach suffered a broken neck and was in cardiac arrest when rescue crews arrived late Tuesday morning. The 26-year-old was taken to a hospital where she died.
Thirty-eight year old Scott Dekraai had a broken leg and also was taken to a hospital.
Sheriff's investigators say the tug boat was readying itself to tow a barge when a line snapped.
The line struck Cameron, knocking her unconscious against the rail of the boat. Dekraai was struck by the tow line when he ran to her aid.
U.S. Coast Guard officials are investigating the accident.
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 7 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour