Using Right Web Sites to Find Love Online
Nov. 20, 2007 (KABC-TV) (KABC) -- Is finding love on the Internet really that elusive?
"I gave it a shot and I met weird people," one woman said.
"Just cause you kind of don't know who you're meeting," another woman said.
But maybe you can know more about who you're meeting if you're going to the right Web sites.
Jesse Glucksman and Dina Livhitz met through an Internet dating site and are now engaged.
"You can go to the general Web sites and have your pick of anyone, but if you have a specific qualification in mind like, like religion, it's really helpful," Glucksman said.
Jesse and Dina met on JDate.com, a dating Web site for Jewish singles looking for more serious dating.
"It was just easier because, it's almost like it's pre-screened for you, you know that on the site the people will have the same kind of cultural background as you," Livhitz said.
Gail Laguna is vice president of communications for Spark Networks. The company manages more than 30 singles Web sites that are very specific for serious daters.
"Our fastest growing communities are JDate for Jewish singles, we have a site for the African American community, called BlackSingles.com, Christian Mingle, LDS Singles and Catholic Mingle, those communities are outpacing the growth of the general market sites," Laguna said.
Laguna says the company receives letters, engagement and wedding photos from couples who met on Spark Net's Web sites daily. Laguna says focusing on qualities that are important to people looking for long term relationships and marriage seems to weed out the casual dater.
"Values, culture, ethnicity, how do you want to raise a family together, and typically religion plays a big role in that," Laguna said.
"You get past the deal breakers first and then you can go on a thousand dates or you can luck out after a few," Glucksman said.
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury 59 min ago
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings 48 min ago
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey 55 min ago
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale