SWAT standoff in Claremont ends
CLAREMONT (KABC) -- Authorities say a Claremont man has apparently shot himself to death after wounding his wife during an argument.
Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Oscar Butao says a SWAT team entered the home about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and found the man dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.
There was a massive police presence near the area of Baseline and Glenn Way after police received calls of shots fired in the quiet neighborhood.
Sheriff's officials say a 51-year-old woman was shot in the chest at about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday.
Police say that the woman was the suspect's wife. She ran next door to a neighbor after being shot. She was hospitalized and is in stable condition.
The man remained in the home with his mother-in-law.
This led to a hostage situation and a standoff in the Claremont neighborhood. A SWAT team immediately cleared the area and taped off Baseline Road while they tried to get the woman out of the home.
The 90-year-old woman was released unharmed about three hours later.
Residents in the area were not surprised when they heard of trouble coming from the house.
"It is really hard to believe that something like this would happen. No offense, but we kind of called it because there is always something strange going on over at that house. We would drive by a tend to see tons of people outside. You don't usually see that it Claremont. We are a quiet and this doesn't happen usually," said Sabrina Telarroja, a neighbor.
The suspect and victims names have not yet been released. There is still no word of what led to the shooting. An investigation is now underway.
Eyewitness News reporter John Gregory and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
local, john gregory
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'