2 shot outside Long Beach home
LONG BEACH (KABC) -- An 11-year-old boy was killed and a 20-year-old man was wounded in an apparent gang-related shooting in Long Beach, police said Monday.
Bullet holes and blood stains mark the area where the shooting happened.
Police are saying the shooting appears to be gang-related, but they say that the young victim was not a gang member.
It happened around 10 p.m. Sunday along the 2000 block of east 15th Street.
According to police, a group of people were standing in front of a home when two suspects walked up and started shooting.
Eleven-year-old Jose Luis Garcia Bailey was hit and pronounced dead at the scene. A 20-year-old man was also injured and rushed to a local hospital.
Some residents witnessed the shooting as it happened.
"It is so sad because he was a little kid. The neighborhood is full of little kids. I do not know why anybody would come and do such a thing," said Miken Mono, a resident.
Police say that the two suspects boldly walked down an alley and started shooting. Residents say that Jose Bailey was just a regular kid and didn't deserve this.
"He's just a young boy that hangs around the community and everybody knows him," said Carlos Avila, Long Beach. "He's really active, just running around back and forth and, you know, unfortunately things happened like this and it's not fair."
"They just came a shot. They shot my friends son who was just a little boy. He was only 11-years-old. What could make someone want to shoot a little kid. My other buddy got shot also," said Jose Gonzalez, victim's friend.
Authorities believe that the two suspects maybe gang members. They say that nobody got a good look at either of the suspects.
"It was dark and I do not think that they were from here. They did come and then they took off running. I heard them run," said a resident.
If you have any information regarding this shooting, you're asked to call Long Beach police at (562) 570-7244.
local, john gregory
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 9 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 20 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 27 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
54 min ago