2 shot outside Long Beach home
LONG BEACH (KABC) -- An 11-year-old boy was killed and a 20-year-old man was wounded in an apparent gang-related shooting in Long Beach, police said Monday.
Bullet holes and blood stains mark the area where the shooting happened.
Police are saying the shooting appears to be gang-related, but they say that the young victim was not a gang member.
It happened around 10 p.m. Sunday along the 2000 block of east 15th Street.
According to police, a group of people were standing in front of a home when two suspects walked up and started shooting.
Eleven-year-old Jose Luis Garcia Bailey was hit and pronounced dead at the scene. A 20-year-old man was also injured and rushed to a local hospital.
Some residents witnessed the shooting as it happened.
"It is so sad because he was a little kid. The neighborhood is full of little kids. I do not know why anybody would come and do such a thing," said Miken Mono, a resident.
Police say that the two suspects boldly walked down an alley and started shooting. Residents say that Jose Bailey was just a regular kid and didn't deserve this.
"He's just a young boy that hangs around the community and everybody knows him," said Carlos Avila, Long Beach. "He's really active, just running around back and forth and, you know, unfortunately things happened like this and it's not fair."
"They just came a shot. They shot my friends son who was just a little boy. He was only 11-years-old. What could make someone want to shoot a little kid. My other buddy got shot also," said Jose Gonzalez, victim's friend.
Authorities believe that the two suspects maybe gang members. They say that nobody got a good look at either of the suspects.
"It was dark and I do not think that they were from here. They did come and then they took off running. I heard them run," said a resident.
If you have any information regarding this shooting, you're asked to call Long Beach police at (562) 570-7244.
local, john gregory
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 33 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)